Sunday, January 29, 2012

He Must Increase.

"He must increase, but I must decrease." - John 3:30.

So simple, yet speaks volumes in a self-oriented world.

I believe that pride is the root of most (if not all) sin. We as human beings crave recognition, to be noticed, and to be complimented. We thrive on words of affirmation. Being complimented isn't a bad thing. Neither is being noticed or recognized. It's when we put those things above Christ.

Our main objective is to give glory to God, in all and whatever we do (1 Cor. 10:31). How are we glorifying God in any way when who we point to is ourselves?

I must decrease.

As I was part of a photo shoot & video promotion for the Next Big Thing yesterday, it was hard for some of us to do the things that they wanted us to do. At one point, we even had to say to the camera, "I'm the Next Big Thing!" Which is something we all had to do for the video, but it isn't like me (or really any of us) at all. None of us really felt comfortable with saying that. Even just having pictures taken of me was a bit awkward for me. I'm not a flashy, put-myself-out-there kind of person. Even then, in the back of my mind, a Voice was asking me, "So, Lauren, who's this going to be about? You or Me?"

I have to keep this in my mind for the next month and a half or so. I am now in a position where people will be watching me. Intently. That's kind of a big deal...

So, am I saying "no" to glorifying myself and "yes" to glorifying God?

He must increase.

2 comments:

  1. It's important as performing artists to realize where the root of what they are doing is: for their own glory, or for God's. Sounds like you are realizing this early on, and that is a good thing. God bless, and don't forget to let God in everything that you do!

    ReplyDelete