Sunday, July 20, 2014

Which is better?

Being at a Christian university has its perks, and sometimes it has its struggles. I won't deny that. There's always this pressure to find "The One" on campus within the 4 years that you study there. I have a firm belief that at least 8/10 freshmen girls are scouting for their "One" starting on day 1. My heart aches for those girls, because I know what it's like to feel that pressure. However, my one serious relationship has not come from finding someone at the Christian university that I attend. 

After two years of being in a serious relationship with someone, I had started being asked the same question over and over again: "SO, when are YOU getting married?" with a sly smile on their face. I would always shrug. Because I honestly didn't have a clue. 

As for someone who was that far along in a relationship, that question was so hard for me to answer and to be asked. Now that I'm single, it's even harder because the prospect of marriage seems so far away. There is no certainty about anything, no prospects. Which is honestly kind of refreshing... I could literally do anything now; I don't need to think about another person and what they would want me to do. All I have to think about is myself. I have nothing and no one holding me back from doing what I want to do. Even if that seems a bit selfish of me, it's nice to have that option now. Yet, it still bothers me to an extent that I am single, because that's what is expected of me; to my peers and all those older than me, I'm supposed to graduate college, get a good career going, get married soon after, have babies, and help manage a household full of people (all in that order). If we break up with someone, we are consoled with the statement, "Oh well, there are other fish in the sea!", etc. (And there is nothing wrong with that statement, mind you, it's kind of a relief to hear that.) 

My big question is: why has Christian society glorified marriage over singleness for the young woman? Yes, marriage is a wonderful thing, when two people come together to work together and glorify God with their relationship and to bring up children and to help each other grow in their walk with Christ. All that good stuff. 

But that seems to be the only thing the young twenty-something Christian woman is expected to do anymore. And it bothers me. 

I don't think guys have as much of a problem with it as girls do; yes, I know y'all have your own problems/questions being asked of you (more related to your degree/job). 

I have to wonder about Paul in the New Testament: I know he was a man, but did he ever feel discontent with his singleness? If he was, we don't know about it, because he discussed how content he was with being unmarried in 1 Corinthians 7:7-8, yet in verse 9, he does give the married people a break because not everyone was content with being unmarried and they "burned with passion." Also in Philippians, he states that he has learned to be content in whatever circumstance he is in (4:11-12). We should be thinking like this, too. 

We don't often hear about how singleness is a good thing, and I think it's because it makes us feel uncomfortable. Of course we all want to find someone to love unconditionally that loves us in return. Almost no one (that I know of) likes the thought of living alone for the rest of their lives. And with the sex-crazed culture we live in today, it's even harder to stay single AND celibate when sex is being shoved down our throats.

With all this said, I am all in favor of marriage. I hope to one day get married and have a family of my own and have my own house to decorate and a wedding to plan. Right now, though, I want to live my life to the fullest as a single young woman. I want to be a light to others in how I live and work, even in the little things. 

I haven't written on here in a while, and I hope I can start doing that again, because I've missed it. I hope I have encouraged someone by what I write, like always. 

With much love,
Lauren



4 comments:

  1. A lot of the pressure would be removed if we reminded ourselves it is not our responsibility to find "The One". It's the Lord’s. All we have to do is walk with Him, and He’ll lead us down the road we are to travel, sometimes with a spouse, sometimes without. Is it a whole lot easier to say than do? Absolutely! But it’s no less true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's somewhat true, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of a "soulmate" anyway. I don't think it's biblical, but I'm not completely against the idea either. I just don't know if it's true.

    Also, we have SOME responsibility in choosing. Yes God may know who we'll be with (or if we don't end up with someone), but I don't think He CHOOSES that for us. That's a question of how much predestination there is in choices vs. free will, but that's another argument for another day though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NO DESIRE AT ALL to debate predestination! That is NOT were I was going with this!

      I'm also not saying we don't have responsibility in the matter. We have huge responsibility. The pendulum has, however, swung too far in our direction when it comes to choosing our spouse.

      [ We now interrupt the irregularly scheduled blog comment to bring you a somewhat off topic rant:

      When I here "soulmate", many Disney Princess movies come to mind, most of which are examples of romance based entirely on emotion. While a critical component, the heart (in the emotional sense) is nonetheless a horrible bases for any type of decision, especially marriage.

      End Rant ]

      God put each of us on this earth with several purposes. Some are universal, like worshiping Him, and others are specific to each individual. The time into which I was born, the parents I was born to, the siblings I have, the job I have, and many other parts of my life have been so perfect for me that I simply do not have enough faith to believe there was not some plan behind it.

      Now please don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of opportunities to make choices throughout my life, and just like all other humans, I've made both good and bad ones. Good ones made my life easier in the long run, and the bad, well, not so much.

      All that said, if such apparent care has been given to providing me with the best people and environment to thrive and grow, it stands to reason that God has some idea as to whether or not he wants me to marry, and if marriage is part of the plan, He's probably got someone in mind.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete