Friday, February 24, 2012

Is He Enough For Me?

Phil Vischer, the producer and the voices of many of the characters of VeggieTales, came to JBU on Tuesday. He came to speak not just about VeggieTales, but also his story of his dream.

His dream and how it went bankrupt.

God gave him a desire and a dream to impact people through entertainment. Soon his creation, VeggieTales, became a huge success. HE became a big success. He had all he wanted. Life was good.

Then, after that, things started happening that later caused Big Ideas Productions to eventually go bankrupt. He bombarded God with questions, asking God why this had happened to him; it had gone so well!

He was then convicted with a question: "Am I enough for you?"

Phil Vischer ended his talk with this statement: "Sometimes, God takes away your dreams so that you may remember/realize who He is and that He is enough, and then gives them back after you learn that lesson. Sometimes, though, He doesn't."

As I sat directly in front of him in the fourth or fifth row from the stage, I was convicted of this myself. I have so many dreams... I have a specific dream to impact people, as well, in many different ways. I want to work as a camp counselor at Camp War Eagle this summer; I want to work with younger girls and develop relationships with them and help them to grow in their relationship with Christ or come to know Christ and have a relationship with Him like I do. I feel called to ministry of some sort, but I don't know what that looks like yet. I also want to impact people through music. That's why winning the Next Big Thing would be really awesome: I would be able to share my music with others and share with people the hope and love of Christ and the cross. I also want to get married, have my own family, and disciple my own children someday. God has given me these dreams, I know. However, He may also take them away. This is what I'm afraid of.

But I am also convicted with the question: "Am I enough for you?"

Not an easy question to answer.

I think a lot of people tend to think of God as one who just "takes away all of the fun in our lives" or "takes away all of the things we want to do." We think of Him as the ultimate killjoy.

God doesn't give us the things we want; He gives us the things we NEED.

I may want to be a camp counselor at Camp War Eagle. But that may not be what God has in mind for me. He may need me elsewhere.

I may want to record my own album of songs that I've written to further His kingdom. But that may not be what He has in mind for me. He may need to use me in some other way.

I may want to get married and start a family. But that may not be what He has in mind for me.

Am I willing to give up all of my hopes and dreams and put them into His hands? Am I willing to let God alone be enough for me?

May I be able to say "yes" without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment