Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Great High Priest

I was reading Hebrews for my New Testament class tomorrow, and I came across chapter twelve in the book. Verses 1 and 2 are the ones that everyone has memorized (and for good reason!) They say:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

I start with these verses because it is 2 and a half weeks until finals week at JBU, and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is starting to not care about school. We are all tired, frustrated, and impatient right now. It's so close to the end of the semester, that we're all in this state of I-don't-care-about-how-well-I-do-and-I-just-wanna-finish. As I have stated in a previous blog post, this semester has been extremely difficult for me. It has pushed me to my limits physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. Several times, I've almost thrown books at my wall and exclaimed, "That's it! I'm not cut out for this! I quit!" But I haven't. And I'm so glad I haven't. Even though it's been really tough, it's been such a period of growth and maturity for me, that I wouldn't change it for anything.

Going back to the book of Hebrews, still in chapter twelve, a lot of people miss out on the rest of this beautiful chapter. In verse 3, the author says, "Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted." I've felt weary AND fainthearted many times this semester, today being one of those times. Yet, Christ took on those burdens so that we would not be weary and fainthearted forever.

There's no doubt we WILL go through those tough times. Continuing in verses 6 and 7, the author of Hebrews tells us:

For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.
It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?


And later, in verse 11:

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

There is a purpose in the discipline we go through; we become more like Christ by it. In a previous chapter in Hebrews (4:15-16), Christ is our great High Priest, because He intercedes for us on our behalf to God the Father. Since Christ has been tempted like us, He knows what we're going through; He understands us completely because He was completely human, just like us. Yet, He was without sin, and of course He's also God, so He is able to intercede for us to the Father. How wonderful that is to have a Savior that completely understands our hardships and trials...

Since we have this great High Priest and Savior, who knows and understands fully what we're going through, let us keep running the race at full speed. You may feel like giving up right now. Why even try anymore?

Do not give up. God wants our best from us. Christ gave His all for us, so let's give God the best of what we've got! Let's finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment