Saturday, April 21, 2012

Revelation 2:2-5.

I'm beginning to read the book of Revelation, the final book in my journey of the New Testament this semester. This book is most known for its apocalyptic teaching and the end times. However, the first 3 chapters don't concentrate on that just yet. Chapters 2-3 specifically are charges to the 7 churches at the time. The first one in chapter 2 is the one to the church in Ephesus. John was praising them for all they had done so far, and God was helping him dictate what to tell each of the churches, including this one. Starting in verse 2, it tells us that God (through John) says,

"'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary.

Sounds like they're on the right track, right?

Let's keep reading (starting in verse 4):

But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.

These people had forgotten for Whom they were enduring persecution! They had forgotten the relationship that they had originally had with Him. They had forgotten the real reason for their carrying out their works. They were doing all of the "right things," but they had forgotten the reason for doing those things!

Continuing on in verse 5, God tells them through John:

Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent."


Wow . . . This is pretty serious. It should be, and rightly so, because God takes our relationship with Him seriously. 


This is convicting to me as I go about my life. When I read that passage, I thought about how I live my life. I'm a good kid. I do my homework, turn in all my assignments, don't cheat, don't swear, hang out with other "good" kids, and strive to be the best Christian I can be. Most of the time, though, I don't even realize why I'm doing the things I do; I just do them without thinking about it. Sometimes, I read my Bible without giving a thought to what it says. I need to be evaluating myself constantly in the things I do, especially in regards to my relationship with Christ. Why do I do the things I do? Is it because I feel like I have to? Or do I actually take pleasure in doing this, in growing closer to Christ? If I honestly say "no," why is that? What can I do to fix that? It can be a really great opportunity to let Christ mold me and shape me more into the person that He wants me to become.

Here's a convicting question: do I think of Christ as my first love? I should. I know I should. But do I truly think of Him that way?

I think deep down, I think of Him mainly as my GPS; the person that gets me through life. He is definitely my Savior and my Lord. But is He my first LOVE?

When I think of a first love, the first thing I think about is how much you want to talk to someone when you're in love. You want to talk to them EVERY single day, every single minute of your day, telling them every single little detail. You want to get to know them more and you want what they want. You want them close to you, to pursue you, to cherish you. As a woman, this is what I dream of happening to me someday. This IS my dream.

Here's a thought: Christ has already pursued me. He already cherishes me. He wants me to become closer to Him in our relationship. Yet, I have the audacity to say "no" to that sometimes. Sometimes, I don't want what He offers. I seek approval from another human, a friend to laugh at my jokes, or affirmation from my professors. I'm looking for that relationship that is meant for only me and Christ in someone else, because I feel like He's not really there. I feel like I need someone in the flesh instead.

I don't, though. Why would I want to trade this never-ending relationship with Christ, who has already loved me perfectly and has bought me with a price, for earthly things that won't last forever?

Very convicting. Lord, forgive me for all the times I don't feel or think that You are enough to satisfy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment